WestJet Vacations - Get Travel Ready
Posted on 08/07/2020 | About Mexico
Pre-travel Entry requirements - Sherpa tool
Travel requirements can change quickly. Use the Sherpa tool to discover the travel requirements for your specific itinerary. We recommend checking requirements before you book your trip, and prior to travelling. Contact your travel advisor for current entry requirements.
COVID-19 testing with AZOVA
We’ve partnered with AZOVA to provide testing locations in most destinations to make travel easier. Contact your travel advisor for more information.
WestJet and WestJet Vacations strongly recommend that you have travel insurance before leaving the country and purchase this through your travel advisor. Having the appropriate travel insurance can assist with expenses related to medical costs or additional fees related to trip interruptions such as extending your stay in-destination or changing your original flights. Insurance varies by package and provider and it is best you work with your travel advisor to assist you with your options.
- Check your passport or Government-issued ID to make sure it is not expired
- Download the WestJet app Apple | Google Play
- Check your pre-departure emails
- Ensure that the name on your proof of vaccination matches both the name(s) on your booking and
- Provide your proof of vaccination during online check in by uploading your Smart Health QR Code as a .jpg or .png file
- Plan to arrive at the airport early as gates and/or food & beverage options may have moved
- Pack a mask (or two) as it will be required at the airport, inflight and in-destination
- Pack hand sanitizer
How to prepare for travel
- Download your Smart Health Card QR Code: https://smarthealth.cards/en/
- Ensure the name on the QR Code matches the name(s) on the booking
- Save your QR Code as an image on your device
- Many provinces provide a PDF, which our system does not accept
- You can save your QR Code as an image by exporting it or taking a screenshot
- Take a screenshot of your original federally issued QR Code (not from your apple wallet)
- Travelling outside of Canada
- You must use ArriveCAN online government of Canada tool before and after your entry to Canada.
At the airport
Getting to the airport
We are currently experiencing an increase in processing times due to additional COVID-related requirements. Start your trip earlier to ensure you make it through airport security on time. Arrive at the airport on time for all WestJet departures, we recommend:
- Canadian departures arrive at the airport 150 minutes (2.5 hours) prior to departure.
- International departures arrive at the airport 180 minutes (3 hours) prior to departure.
- While there may be some changes at the airport, one thing has not changed, our WestJetters will be there to assist you.
- If someone is dropping you off or picking you up, they must stay outside.
- Masks are required at all times. Face mask policy.
- Some airports have our new touchless bag tagging stations.
- Enhanced cleaning measures and physical distancing are in place.
- Use the WestJet app for added convenience and to reduce touchpoints on your journey.
- Check-in, get your electronic boarding pass and enjoy Connect – our inflight entertainment system.
- Complete the health questionnaire.
In the air
- Window or aisle? Movie or Podcast? You can travel with peace of mind knowing our aircraft are cleaned extensively and frequently and are equipped with HEPA filters, so you can breathe a little easier as you fly with us.
- We are excited to partner with Calm to prioritize your mental wellbeing while inflight. Explore a collection of meditations, relaxation exercises and Sleep Stories, now available on WestJet Connect.
- Our inflight menus can now be viewed on the WestJet app. Depending on your flight, the snack or meal options might be different.
Safety Above All
WestJet was named one of the safest airlines in the world for the second year in a row. Drawing on factors such as the airline’s safety initiatives, fleet age and COVID-19 protocols, WestJet’s Safety Above All promise has been recognized as one of the best in the world. Watch our Travel Ready video series.
WestJet Vacations Travel Protection Plan
WestJet Vacations Travel Protection Plan allows for increased flexibility with changes and cancellations and provides peace of mind for guests and must be purchased at the time of booking your vacation package. The Travel Protection Plan is available for WestJet Vacation destinations in Canada, the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean.
Before you leave
Visit your hotel’s website to learn about their health and safety protocols, operational guidelines, and facility availability.
- Complete a quick health screening before boarding the transfer vehicle.
- Masks are required in all shared transportation.
- Shuttles are cleaned and disinfected after each trip.
- Shuttle capacity is limited to support physical distancing.
WestJet Vacations arrival in-destination
When you arrive at your destination, you will receive a welcome package that includes information regarding a meet and greet session with your WestJet Vacations destination representative where you are provided with their contact details. It is important for you to keep this information on hand in case you need assistance while you are in-destination. The WestJet Vacations destination representative is your best resource for assisting with any issues in-destination.
At your hotel or resort
WestJet Vacations hotel partners have COVID-19 plans and protocols in place to ensure the safety of your clients. Please contact your travel advisor to learn about the various programs that are available. Some of our hotel partners offer in-destination COVID-19 testing. Be sure to arrange your test early in your trip.
COVID precautions in vacation destinations
Testing in WestJet Vacation destinations
In the event you are unable to find a lab with AZOVA, onsite COVID-19 testing options are available for Canadians at many hotels in WestJet Vacations destinations, such as Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, Huatulco, Mazatlán, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, La Romana, Costa Rica, Jamaica and Barbados. Please confirm with the hotel front desk or guest services for further information.
If you test positive with COVID-19
If you have tested positive for COVID-19 in-destination, WestJet Vacations will make every effort to rebook the flight and/or transfer for you. Contact your travel advisor.
Contact your travel advisor to find out what is covered in your insurance for your extended stay. You should also refer to both the local government and the Canadian government’s official websites to obtain the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 restrictions, quarantine requirements and travel advisories. Contact your travel advisor for assistance in changing your travel plans.
It is important to note that you are responsible for your extended stay (e.g., booking, expenses, etc.). Additionally, WestJet Vacations is not responsible for the condition of isolation sections, safety protocols, or service levels of the hotel during the quarantine period. It should be expected that you will be required to follow local hotel and government restrictions. WestJet Vacations is not affiliated with the testing facilities in destination, and we cannot guarantee quality, availability, pricing or on-time delivery of COVID-19 tests.
WestJet Vacations in-destination contact information
Please note you will receive contact email and phone numbers that are reserved exclusively for you while you are in-destination. These contacts will connect you with our in-destination teams that will work with our various departments to try and get your travel plans arranged accordingly.