Grand Italy & Sicily (Summer 2019)
About Palermo, Italy
- Florence: Enjoy a traditional Bistecca alla Fiorentina dinner in the city known for its delicious cuts of steak.
- Alberobello: Stop at a cellar for a local insight into the robust wines of the region with tasting.
- Alberobello: After embracing the town as its natives do, enjoy Dine-at-Home experience as you are welcomed into the home of a local for a freshly-prepared meal, typical of the region. Dine with the family for dinner and learn more about their life.
- Dining Summary: 16 Breakfasts (B) and 8 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Vatican City: Be among the select few to gain VIP access to the Vatican Museums, see the Bramante Staircase and Michelangelo’s ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. Venture inside St. Peter's Basilica and see Michelangelo's Pietà, and the splendid dome.
- Rome: Explore the backstreets of Rome and experience local life, alongside a passionate Roman who will explain how modern life takes place around ancient treasures like the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, the Living Room of Rome.
- Venice: Visit an artisan showroom and workshop to see master craftsmen honouring age-old Venetian crafts.
- Florence: Visit the Accademia Museum with a Local Expert to see Michelangelo’s masterpiece, David.
Stay in Style
- Rome: Located in the heart of Rome, the luxurious Hotel Romanico Palace offers easy access to all the historical sites of the Eternal City.
- Alberobello: The Grand Hotel La Chiusa di Chietri is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the scenic surroundings.
Top Rated Highlights
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Pisa: Your Local Expert will show you the baptistery bristling with marble spines, the colonnaded bell tower lurching behind the 11th century cathedral and of course, the famous Leaning Tower in the Square of Miracles.
- Cinque Terre: Led by your Local Expert, visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site with dedicated time to explore two of the five charming fishing villages.
- Portofino: Get a taste of the ‘sweet life’ when you visit this elegant fishing village, before cruising to Santa Margherita.
- Italian Lake District: Experience the social ritual of la passeggiata.
- Verona: During your orientation, walk past the well preserved Roman Arena to Juliet's balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Venice: Delight in the magic of this charming city as you are serenaded, travelling through the atmospheric canals by gondola.
- Florence: Enjoy a walking exploration with your Local Expert to see the Florence Cathedral, with its bell tower and baptistery and wander through the open-air gallery of Piazza della Signoria.
- Florence: See the area around Santa Croce Basilica, famous for the quality of its luxury goods and witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Pompeii: Walk with a Local Expert through the cobbled streets of this ill-fated town, frozen in time since the 1st century.
- Sorrento: Perched upon the cliffs, lookout to see the mighty Mount Vesuvious across the Bay of Naples.
- Isle of Capri: Cruise to this famous isle through beautiful blue Mediterranean waters to meet your Local Expert.
- Isle of Capri: Explore Capri town with your Local Expert and see the whitewashed houses, winding alleyways, small cafes, fashionable boutiques and artisans studios.
- Isle of Capri: Ride in style back to the port by open-top taxi.
- Matera: Visit this UNESCO World heritage Site and see famous Sassi or cave dwellings, which were home to about 20,000 people until 1950.
- Alberobello: Led by your Travel Director, explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site showcasing the Trulli of Alberobello. Circular structures with conical roofs that are domed within, built from local limestone and stacked without using mortar.
- Taormina Riviera: Visit the ancient Greek Ampitheatre with your Local Expert. Set on a cliff, open to the sky, take your seats and enjoy the view through the crumbling arches to snowy Mount Etna.
- Taormina Riviera: During your orientation with your Travel Director, visit the courtyard of Palazzo Corvaja, seat of the first Sicilian parliament, and stroll along Corso Umberto to Piazza IX Aprile.
- Palermo: With a local historian, see the Teatro Massimo en route to Quattro Canti Square to glimpse the Fountain of Shame.
- Palermo: Visit Palermo Cathedral and walk through the Palace of the Normans to stand in the jewel-like Palatine chapel for an up-close look at some of the finest examples of Norman art.
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.